How not to be a Muslim

Muslims have largely brought their present pathetic position on themselves by falling into traps laid by prejudiced provocateurs

Let’s talk of the most degrading and damaging issue, the sheer stupidity of those who claim to be Muslims but commit heinous un-Islamic crimes in the name of Islam contrary to the injunctions of God and fuel . . . → Read More: How not to be a Muslim

Paris Attacks – Dieudonne to face trial for “expressing

French comedian Dieudonne will face trial over a controversial Facebook comment he wrote in the wake of the extremist attacks in Paris, Agence France Presse reports on Wednesday. A judicial source told the news service that the comedian will stand trial for “condoning terrorism.”

PARIS (AP) — France ordered prosecutors around the country to crack . . . → Read More: Paris Attacks – Dieudonne to face trial for “expressing

Ganges recedes, 80 bodies found floating

Around 80 bodies have been found floating in a stream of India’s Ganges, sparking renewed concerns Wednesday about the health of the sacred river where millions of Hindus cremate their dead, an official said.

The bodies were discovered in a shallow tributary of the Ganges near a cremation area in the northern state of Utter . . . → Read More: Ganges recedes, 80 bodies found floating

Islam, Muslims and the West

(By Gulam Asgar Mitha) Much is being written regarding the Charlie Hebdo issue in Paris, France. I do not condone any killing but at the same time I do not support issues that violate human rights, religious freedom or freedom of speech and thoughts. Using cartoons to condemn Divine thoughts and beliefs is utterly wrong because . . . → Read More: Islam, Muslims and the West

Regulating madressahs in Pakistan

FOLLOWING last month’s attack on Army Public School in Peshawar, the government is making renewed efforts to bring madressahs under some kind of state control. In a recent statement to the media, Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan had said that 90 per cent madressahs have no link to terrorism (leaving 10 per cent that . . . → Read More: Regulating madressahs in Pakistan

Our resolve is stronger than your bullet!

Army chief Gen Raheel Sharif received on Monday children to mark resumption of schooling in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa after horrific Taliban-led attack on Army Public School (APS) in Peshawar on December 16 last leaving some 150 people, including 132 schoolchildren, massacred.

“Everyone (is) in high spirit,” a tweet from ISPR chief Maj.-Gen Asif Bajwa quoted Gen . . . → Read More: Our resolve is stronger than your bullet!

The decline of Indian Muslims

Muslims must not let Hindutva hotheads push them into perpetual victimhood 

Hindutva activists may want to tear Muslims and Hindus apart through love jihad and ghar wapsi campaigns, but metropolitan middle-class Hindus thronged to see Haider, some even silently shed a tear for the Kashmiri Muslim hero. Jingoists may propagate violent rhetoric against . . . → Read More: The decline of Indian Muslims

The 9/11 flawed response to terrorism

Synopsis

Underlying the attack on the Charlie Hebdo magazine is a far greater threat than the brutalising of freedom of expression. Western leaders and security agencies too often fall into and create a vicious cycle modelled on the 9/11 attacks in the US: A Muslim community that rejects violence is put on the defensive. The . . . → Read More: The 9/11 flawed response to terrorism

Chaudhry Aslam Shaheed: Pakistan’s hero

(By Faraz Khan) A year after the city lost its iron man, SP Chaudhry Aslam, the Crime Investigation Department (CID) has been unable to replace him.

SP Aslam was killed in a bomb blast on the Lyari Expressway on January 9 last year while he was on his way to work.

When the CID’s . . . → Read More: Chaudhry Aslam Shaheed: Pakistan’s hero

The selective freedom of speech

The journalists at Charlie Hebdo are now rightly being celebrated as martyrs on behalf of freedom of expression, but let’s face it: If they had tried to publish their satirical newspaper on any American university campus over the last two decades it wouldn’t have lasted 30 seconds. Student and faculty . . . → Read More: The selective freedom of speech