The Supreme Court on Monday expressed dissatisfaction with the government’s reports on Karachi violence, saying the reports lack facts that are needed to make headway in the case.
The reports were submitted by Attorney General Anwarul Haq during the suo motu hearing of the unrest in Karachi.
The five-member bench of the Supreme Court headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry ordered the Attorney General to file a new report, carrying the latest information about those who are creating unrest in Karachi.
The AG submitted the reports compiled by the Special Branch, FIA, and Intelligence Bureau.
The Intelligence Bureau requested the court to keep its report classified.
The court said a decision to keep the report classified will be taken after it has been reviewed.
The court also directed the A-G to file reports from the ISI and MI.
‘Some Karachi areas are no go zones’
Inspector General of Sindh Wajid Ali Durrani admitted before the Supreme Court that law-enforcement agencies cannot enter some violence-hit areas of Karachi.
The IG also told the court that ethnic and sectarian tensions are the main reasons for the unrest in Karachi.
He said that extortionists and land grabbers are also adding fuel to the violence in the city.
Durrani said there are several ethnic groups in more than 100 areas of Karachi.
He said 306 people have been killed in Karachi between July 24 and August 24 this year.
He said 232 cases have been registered in 75 police stations during one month. The IG said that despite the ongoing carnage, the situation is within the control of law-enforcement agencies.
Updated from print edition (below)
SC to hear case on Karachi violence today
A five-member larger bench of the Supreme Court headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry will begin hearing the suo motu case on Karachi violence in the metropolis on Monday (today).
Federal and Sindh governments will present a comprehensive report based on input from security agencies before the bench comprising Justice Shakirullah Jan, Justice Nasirul Mulk, Justice Tariq Pervez and Justice Ghulam Rabbani.
The Supreme Court had earlier rejected a report presented by the advocate general Sindh for its failure to identify the groups involved in target killings, abduction and extortion in Karachi.
In view of the sensitivity of the case, heightened security arrangements have been made, involving deployment of 600 police and Rangers personnel at the Supreme Court’s branch registry in Karachi.
According to a statement issued by the Karachi registry, foolproof security arrangements have been ensured on the day of the hearing on Monday and entry into courtroom No 1 will be regulated by passes. Senior Superintendent of Police, South Zone, Naeem Sheikh said police and Rangers have set up check posts on roads leading to the Karachi registry, Shaheen Complex, Polo Ground, Khajoor Chowk and II Chundrigar Road to search people heading towards the court. Suspicious persons will not be allowed to proceed on their way without thorough investigation.
Trained commandos have also been deployed along with additional personnel from police headquarters. Sheikh said he would be present in the court premises at seven in the morning to check police personnel’s performance.