The Supreme Court of Pakistan in its interim order in Balochistan law and order case, held Frontier Corps (FC) responsible for the disappearances in the province.
The three-member bench of the SC headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry resumed the hearing of Balochistan law and order and missing persons cases on Wednesday.
In its interim order, SC stated that it is government’s responsibility to protect life and property of its people and ordered to recover the missing personsat any cost.
The order further stated that the helplessness of law enforcement agencies (LEAs) is against the expectations while it was also found that the agencies, especially FC, are involved in disappearances.
During proceedings of the missing persons’ case, Attorney General Irfan Qadir presented the report regarding law and order situation in Balochistan before the bench.
He told that following the court’s order, a high powered joint investigation committee was formed to probe Balochistan issue. The committee, including members of Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and Military Intelligence (MI), was headed by Additional IG Police Zahid Mahmood.
The committee went to Quetta and investigated the matter from June 8 to 15, AG Qadir told.
On this, Justice Jawwad Khawaja questioned that how long Zahid Mahmood remained posted in the province. The attorney general apprised the bench that Zahid Mahmood was never deployed in Balochistan.
The chief justice remarked that Zahid Mahmood was an officer on special duty (OSD).
The court had summoned the defence secretary and Inspector General of Frontier Corps (FC), Major General Obaidullah Khan Khattak to appear before the bench on Wednesday.
In the last hearing, the chief justice had ordered to present 138 missing persons before the bench.
Advocate General Balochistan Amanullah Kinrani told the court that nine persons had been recovered since the hearing began while the disappearances in the province had also declined.